Here are some great tips to help you before and during your interview:
- Attend open houses, career fairs, etc. This will build your confidence and give you an opportunity to create a relationship with potential interviewers.
- Research the company that you are interviewing with beforehand. Find out as much information as you can. During the interview, ask relevant questions about the company or the position for which you are applying. The interviewer is usually impressed by someone who has done his or her homework. It shows that you are genuinely interested in the company.
- Review examples of questions that might be asked and develop tentative answers for these questions.
- During your interview, talk about any relevant accounting or business experience that you have gained through a part-time position or possibly an accounting internship.
- Be able to discuss your strengths and weaknesses. Most likely, the interviewer is considering several applicants, and it is important to be able to sell yourself. Be honest and sincere in all of your answers.
- Bring along a copy of your résumé, as well as any other relevant information such as letters of recommendation from employers or college professors.
- Ensure that you arrive in plenty of time for your interview; however, try not to make the mistake of arriving too early. A good time frame would be 10 minutes before your scheduled appointment.
- Last, but not least, try to relax and enjoy yourself.